Question of the Day

Question of the Day

When Kenneth and Gloria started their journey of faith they had question too - lots of them! So, we've compiled the most frequent asked questions by people like you - people who earnestly desire to find God's answers to the practical, real-life challenges of everyday living. We have a new question every day, so check back often.
READ BY DAY
KEYWORD SEARCH

July 10


Q: What’s a “firstfruit?”

A: You may have heard a preacher talking about “firstfruits.”

At KCM we consider the firstfruit to be the tithe. In other words, we understand the terms “tithe” and “firstfruits” to mean the same thing.

Firstfruits speaks to the fact that the tithe comes from the first part of our income. So, we separate that first tenth (10 percent of our total gross income—what we get paid, as well as extra income) from the remaining 90 percent God has provided for meeting our needs and sowing as offerings as He directs. We then present this to the Lord and worship Him for all of His provision.

In this act of faith, the tither places himself in covenant relationship with God and trusts Him to supply all his needs. It is for this reason that the tithe is not used to pay bills or buy necessities, but is used instead in worship and praise to the Lord. (Remember, God loves a cheerful giver!)

Tithing is just the beginning of God’s system of living because we can give of ourselves every day! Whether it’s being kind to another person or sharing the good news of the gospel with someone in need, God desires that we be a people who commit to give of ourselves to the Lord as He directs. God will use whatever we offer Him—whether it’s our time, talents, finances or abilities—and He rewards those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6)!